[GRASS-dev] computational geometry in C++ library

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Fri May 5 09:01:59 EDT 2006

It would be fantastic to have a version of this library
in GRASS 6.1.
I could think of a dozen generally useful GRASS modules
based on this: 3D convex hull, converting 3D polygons to voxels,
point in 3D polygon queries ...
I don't know much C++, but surely there
must be a way to use the methods in this library with
standard C function calls? Some sort of simple wrapper perhaps?

Benjamin

Martin Wegmann wrote:
> Dear GRASS developers,
>
> I just found a site concerning geometric algorithms (GPL):
>
> --
> easy access to useful, reliable geometric algorithms
>
> The CGAL library contains:
>
>     * the Kernel with geometric primitives such as points, vectors,
> lines, predicates for testing things such as relative positions of
> points, and operations such as intersections and distance calculation.
>     * the Basic Library which is a collection of standard data
> structures and geometric algorithms, such as convex hull in 2D/3D,
> (Delaunay) triangulation in 2D/3D, planar map, polyhedron, smallest
> enclosing circle, and multidimensional query structures.
>     * the Support Library which offers interfaces to other packages,
> e.g., for visualisation, and I/O, and other support facilities.
> --
>
> you may already know this site but in case you don't it might be worth a
> look.
>
> I know that GRASS is ANSI-C and these libraries are C++ but perhaps some
>  problem can be solved using these libraries.
>
> http://www.cgal.org/index2.html
>
> regards, Martin

Benjamin Ducke, M.A.
Archäoinformatik