[GRASS-dev] gis.m improvements

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon May 8 00:20:40 EDT 2006

Tevor articulated this very well. This continues a discussion that went on a
month or so back.

The "layers" for vectors are actually "key fields" for joining attribute
tables to vector objects. Each key field (currently called a "layer") can
join one attribute table to the objects in a vector file.

I'd vote for changing the name to "key field", "key", or something along
that line that more clearly denotes how this handy feature actually
functions, and referencing any relationship to OGC layers in the docs (a
rather indirect relationship it seems to me, because this is not really the
same as the data layers in something like a DXF file).

In most GIS texts I've used, layers refers to geospatial data that can be
overLAYED (composited together) to make up a composite map. Using another
term would be very confusing to GIS users.

Michael
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213