[GRASS-dev] gis.m improvements

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon May 8 05:21:15 EDT 2006

> > I will second the earier comments that having both "layers" used for
> > GUI map layers and the existing vector/table layers is highly
> > confusing and should be avoided if possible. Please find another
> > word...?
>
> Hmmm, do you really think so?

I do. There is enough GIS and GRASS jargon to learn that to start
having words with two meanings is going to be highly confusing and
frustrating for new folks trying to learn the system. And after
fuzzy translations the situation can get even worse.

> vector layer in gis.m map 1:1 to the GRASS database
> and so do raster and 3d raster layers.

eh? (note the double use of "database" too....)

> The word layer is a little bit fuzzy in the GIS
> world, but I think people can live with it OK.
> Anyway, I can't think of anything better to call it.

either vector layers go back to being called fields or gui layers change
to "[qualifier] layers"? The second option is the least painful; it
is good to consider the long term too. Sorry, no great ideas/solution.

shrug,
Hamish