[GRASS-dev] d.* commands

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed May 24 17:28:03 EDT 2006

Michael Barton wrote:

> > Maybe command line draws should not be persistent in the GUI at all?
>
> Not sure what you mean, but I'll try to answer what I think you mean. It
> would be difficult to get something called from the command line to display
> in an existing canvas, and I'm not sure what the advantage would be of doing
> so. Each canvas is incrementally numbered in an array variable $can($mon)
> and has an associated layer tree it uses for input. This allows each canvas
> to have its own individual set of layers to display and individual
> zoom/region settings. Also, displaying something in a TclTk canvas requires
> TclTk commands, not GRASS commands.

If you are mostly using the terminal for generating maps, it would
probably be useful to be able to type a command to add a newly-created
map to the gis.m display, rather than having to switch to gis.m to add
the new map then switch back to the terminal afterwards.

This wouldn't be particularly hard to implement, although gis.m would
need some way to determine which canvas/layer-tree to use if you have
more than one.