[GRASS-dev] PROPOSAL: v.edit WAS: d.* commands

Wolf Bergenheim wolf+grass at bergenheim.net
Wed May 24 17:49:38 EDT 2006

On Wed, 24 May 2006, Michael Barton wrote:

>> If this is something that I can do, I would like to try and get a few
>> of the more important ones updated before the feature freeze. I am not
>> a great C coder, however, so this could get ugly.
>
> Thanks very much for offering to help. IMHO, the most valuable thing anyone
> could do to make GRASS 6.2 a complete system would be to port i.points
> and/or v.digit to the new architecture so that they could work in a TclTk
> canvas rather than requiring X11. NVIZ seems already on track to get there
> soon.

How about making a v.edit that would work a bit like this:

v.edit task=[add,del,move,etc..] what=[point,line,centroid]
        db=[an SQL statement for UPDATE
        args=[task and what specific]

so for example to add a new point one could call

v.edit task=add what=point db='name="survey location 73" depth=34' args=x=25.242424,y=34.45634

and to add a line one could call

v.edit task=add what=line db='name="road #73" speed=70' args=25.242424:34.45634,25.34343:34.34353,25.6754:34.6453

delete is trivial

v.edit task=del what=line args=345
 				^This is the cat ID.

Just as an idea. If you like this I can start working on defining the
syntax so that one can edit all sorts of shapes. Another possibility would
be that it would read commands from a file (or stdin). Which would you
guys prefer?

If reading from a file then the syntax can be more complex (even XML if we
want it to).

--Wolf

--

<:3 )---- Wolf Bergenheim ----( 8:>