[GRASS-dev] PROPOSAL: v.edit WAS: d.* commands

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed May 24 23:50:20 EDT 2006

This is along the lines of what I thought would be a good replacement for
v.digit. Glynn had some ideas too, so I hope he offers an opinion here. This
kind of command line module for modifying vector objects could then be
accessed by any GUI/display management system that could draw on a display,
capture coordinates, and pass them to the relevant vector. The on-screen
vector could then be redrawn to reflect the change.

Michael

On 5/24/06 2:49 PM, "Wolf Bergenheim" <wolf+grass at bergenheim.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 24 May 2006, Michael Barton wrote:
>>>
>>> If this is something that I can do, I would like to try and get a few
>>> of the more important ones updated before the feature freeze. I am not
>>> a great C coder, however, so this could get ugly.
>>
>> Thanks very much for offering to help. IMHO, the most valuable thing anyone
>> could do to make GRASS 6.2 a complete system would be to port i.points
>> and/or v.digit to the new architecture so that they could work in a TclTk
>> canvas rather than requiring X11. NVIZ seems already on track to get there
>> soon.
>>

> How about making a v.edit that would work a bit like this:
>
> v.edit task=[add,del,move,etc..] what=[point,line,centroid]
>         db=[an SQL statement for UPDATE
>         args=[task and what specific]
>
> so for example to add a new point one could call
>
> v.edit task=add what=point db='name="survey location 73" depth=34'
> args=x=25.242424,y=34.45634
>
> and to add a line one could call
>
> v.edit task=add what=line db='name="road #73" speed=70'
> args=25.242424:34.45634,25.34343:34.34353,25.6754:34.6453
>
> delete is trivial
>
> v.edit task=del what=line args=345
> ^This is the cat ID.
>
> Just as an idea. If you like this I can start working on defining the
> syntax so that one can edit all sorts of shapes. Another possibility would
> be that it would read commands from a file (or stdin). Which would you
> guys prefer?
>
> If reading from a file then the syntax can be more complex (even XML if we
> want it to).
>
> --Wolf

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University