[GRASS-dev] Re: gis.m: how to create high-resolution graphics file ?

Joel Pitt joel.pitt at gmail.com
Wed May 24 20:04:24 EDT 2006

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that the function of the res parameter?
I think res=4 outputs a png at 4 times the current display size.

d.out.png --help
 Saves active display monitor to PNG file in home directory
Usage:
 d.out.png output=string [res=value]
Parameters:
  output   Name of PNG file
     res   Resolution of output file (single=1, double=2, quad=4)
           default: 2

On 5/25/06, Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu> wrote:
> Moritz,
>
> In terms of raster, you can only get what is in the display. That is, you
> can't get higher resolution than you can see. This is pretty good if you
> expand the display to your full screen, but it may not be enough for what
> you want I suppose.
>
> Under the print menubutton, you can export to eps. This is a high as it
> gets. There is text in eps format--so it will look very good--but vectors
> are still rendered on-screen as rasters. This is a function of the GRASS
> display libraries/functions. It would be nice to have vectors rendered as
> vector objects, of course, but this will take some rewriting. OTOH, this is
> the direction we are trying to take the GUI/display architecture.
>
> Michael
> Center for Social Dynamics and Complexity
> Arizona State University
>
> phone: 480-965-6213
> fax: 480-965-7671
>

> > From: Moritz Lennert <mlennert at club.worldonline.be>
> > Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 22:54:46 +0200
> > To: Grass Developers List <grass-dev at grass.itc.it>, Michael Barton
> > <michael.barton at asu.edu>
> > Subject: gis.m: how to create high-resolution graphics file ?
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am trying to export a high resolution jpeg or ppm from the map
> > display, but I just can't seem to find a way to do this. All I get are
> > fairly low resolution files. Have I missed something ? How can I
> > configure this (beyong chosing jpeg quality) ?
> >
> > The same goes for printing to eps or pdf.
> >
> > Moritz

"Wish not to seem, but to be, the best."
                -- Aeschylus