[GRASS-dev] Re: gis.m: how to create high-resolution graphics file ?

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed May 24 23:59:39 EDT 2006

D.out.png was my first script. The resolution parameter was a multiplier to
change the display geometry prior to output to a png file. It was never
completely satisfactory because of its effects on vectors, text, and display
enhancements like scalebars. These would shrink in size to become nearly
unreadable. The saved graphic file, then did not look like what you saw on
the screen.

The current display architecture no longer writes to a png file (although
ironically it uses the PNG driver). It writes to a PPM file. The save file
routine then uses gdal to translate the PPM into other formats. It looks
like it might be possible to implement the multiplier back into the output
geometry, but I'm not sure that the results are desirable.

Michael