[GRASS-dev] GUI toolkits

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sat May 27 01:31:47 EDT 2006

> One of the questions that Michael had raised in the earlier
> threads concerning toolkits and languages to replace the
> tcl/tk interface was the accessibility of development tools
> on all platforms. Since there has been some interest in
> using Python, I began doing a very cursory examination of
> the different toolkits and their associated development
> environments.
..
> I look foward to hearing the opinions of others on the list
> about this idea and their experiences with PythonCard (if
> any).

We should ask the Thuban devels about the good points and bad points of
Python + wxPython as they've already done a FreeGIS GUI with it,
  http://thuban.intevation.org

I understand the desire to start from scratch but wonder if on the Qt
path why not just work on, or crib from, QGIS+GRASS, and if Wx why not
just make Thuban talk to GRASS via PySWIG, or crib/reuse their front
end?

At minimum we should learn from the others who have gone before us on
the same path about what works, what doesn't, where the problems will
be..

Hamish