[GRASS-dev] GUI toolkits

Trevor Wiens twiens at interbaun.com
Sat May 27 02:19:27 EDT 2006

On Sat, 27 May 2006 17:31:47 +1200
Hamish <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > One of the questions that Michael had raised in the earlier
> > threads concerning toolkits and languages to replace the
> > tcl/tk interface was the accessibility of development tools
> > on all platforms. Since there has been some interest in
> > using Python, I began doing a very cursory examination of
> > the different toolkits and their associated development
> > environments.
> ..
> > I look foward to hearing the opinions of others on the list
> > about this idea and their experiences with PythonCard (if
> > any).
>
> We should ask the Thuban devels about the good points and bad points of
> Python + wxPython as they've already done a FreeGIS GUI with it,
>   http://thuban.intevation.org
>

> I understand the desire to start from scratch but wonder if on the Qt
> path why not just work on, or crib from, QGIS+GRASS, and if Wx why not
> just make Thuban talk to GRASS via PySWIG, or crib/reuse their front
> end?

Personally I am in position to contribute if we choose C++ as a
development language. However my experience with Thuban has been pretty
mixed. When I could get it run, it was pretty nice, but on my systems
it has been broken most of the time and I've never been very motivated
to fix it, because it is just a viewer. I don't know if this is
indicative of wxPython apps in general, but if so this would make me
concerned about using it.

> At minimum we should learn from the others who have gone before us on
> the same path about what works, what doesn't, where the problems will
> be..

Yes, comments from others who've gone down this path would be very
useful.

Trevor Wiens
twiens at interbaun.com

The significant problems that we face cannot be solved at the same
level of thinking we were at when we created them.
(Albert Einstein)