[GRASS-dev] GUI toolkits

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Mon May 29 04:50:15 EDT 2006

On 5/29/06, Stefan Paulick <stefan.paulick at urbeli.com> wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 28.05.2006, 18:59 +0200 schrieb Jachym Cepicky:
> > The way, QGIS is controled, completly differs from the way, GRASS is
> > controled. People (like me) like the way and will never use QGIS, because it is something strange.
>
> ? ... Oh, yes, Icons are made by the devil and do poison your brain. In
> the short term, you will end up asking your boss for M$ products!
>

> > I thing, GRASS should not be about nice and featurefull GUI. But it
> > should have "high-toned" GUI - something, which would do things
> > "the GRASS way", something, which would be fast, small (on diskspace
> > and on the screen).
>
> I started programming with dip switches, shifting in assembler hex code.
> So PCs should never have a keyboard and MUST have output for 40x25 text
> display. You get the point? ;-)

Note that we are porting QGIS to ZX Spectrum (and clones):
  http://lists.qgis.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2006-May/000255.html
and this effort should result in the application most GRASS users
are looking for.

The QGIS for ZX Spectrum means not only reasonable hardware requirements
but also very small application package which will be distributed as mp3 via
podcasting (excelent idea of Tim Sutton). You don't need a tape recorder /
tape-loop any more, just a cheap mp3 player.

Radim