[GRASS-dev] Areas

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue May 30 00:09:24 EDT 2006

At the risk of sounding naïve, don't boundaries without centroids behave
pretty much as lines? In this case the cat is attached to the boundary/line.
However, a boundary/centroid pair becomes an area. Then the cat is attached
to the centroid/point instead of the boundary/line.

It seems a good idea to somehow enforce this kind of organization as much as
possible to avoid the possibility of some weird hybrid of boundary with
attributes and centroids with attributes for the same area object. Althought
I'm sure someone can think of a real-world situation where this might be
useful, IMHO, it seems a better idea analytically and conceptually to keep
these separate. This leave us functionally with points, lines/arcs, and
areas/polygons. Boundaries are either lines (without centroids) or areas
(with centroids).

Michael
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University