[GRASS-dev] Discussing new GUI toolkit: v.pydigit

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed May 31 05:56:17 EDT 2006

> concerning the discussion about new GUI, used toolkit, programing
> language, etc., etc., etc. I started to write script, which could show
> us the way/problems/advantages/disadvantages.

It is good to see these things.

> It is the python script, with GTK+ toolkit (PyGTK). The GUI is build
> by Glade. It took me 3 days include pretty much learning of how the
> things are done by glade/pygtk, to write such an gui. I would say, it
> is pretty fast.

FWIW, I don't know any Python, but I could learn some. (Transferable
skills are nice)

> v.pydigit should be graphical frontend to v.edit.
..
> Known problems:
>     * Data reading/writing: Currently, the data are read through
>         v.out.ascii  and the output (new data storing) is made by
>         v.edit
>
>         Sollution: Swig? OGR?

what about "v.in.ascii format=standard" and v.patch?

for raster option use r.in.poly or "v.in.*/v.edit" + v.to.rast?

>     * Raster map display.
>         Sollution: Swig? GDAL? r.out.png?

Same as gis.m? Use the PNG driver to make a PNG (smaller file) or PPM
(faster) image. Zoom/pan by setting "soft" region changes with
GRASS_REGION= enviro variable?? (then GUI must keep track)

see:  g.manual pngdriver

??

> Screenshots:
>     http://les-ejk.cz/tmp/vpydigit1.png
>     http://les-ejk.cz/tmp/vpydigit2.png

nice.

other points:
which of the toolkits has the best support for translation efforts?

We should try and keep things easy to use for people with Mac OSX on
laptops (only one mouse button). Annoying, but in the end you get a
simpler to use app for new users. IIRC, one of the main reasons the mac
stayed with the one button setup is that it forces devels to work harder
on their design which leads to better experience for the end user.

Will development of the GUI on a Mac require a Fink install? (e.g. glade2)
Will the toolkit create a "native" looking/acting application? (yes please)

Glade makes XML files from a GUI.. how does Python fit in?

Hamish