[GRASS-dev] Discussing new GUI toolkit: v.pydigit

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed May 31 10:26:29 EDT 2006

On May 31, 2006, at 7:19 AM, Jachym Cepicky wrote:

>> We should try and keep things easy to use for people with Mac OSX on
>> laptops (only one mouse button). Annoying, but in the end you get a
>> simpler to use app for new users. IIRC, one of the main reasons
>> the mac
>> stayed with the one button setup is that it forces devels to work
>> harder
>> on their design which leads to better experience for the end user.
>>
> I can see your point. How is it done? Really only by mouse or can you
> use key strokes (Ctrl..) too?
>
> Suggestion:
>     mouseL 1 click - digitize
>     mouseL dbl click - menu
>                         |-> End digitizing
>                         |-> Delete last
>                         |-> Delete all
>                         |-> Snap to closesd node
>                         if boundary -> snap to begin
>
>    mouseR - end digitizing
>    mouseM - Delete last

I wonder - does it (python I assume you mean here) get button-click
info from the system, or interpret mouse/trackpad directly?  A
feature of recent PowerBooks, and the new MacBook I'm lovin', is (if
one uses the pad-tap feature) tapping with *two* fingers does a right-
click.  If Python sees it as left/right click, you wouldn't have to
worry about trying to interpret meta-keys as well.  Same goes for
ctrl-click - it's a standard setup for the system to do a right-click
- if Python sees this as right-click instead of ctrl-click, it
wouldn't have to deal with having to have alternatives for extra
buttons on a Mac.  There's nothing for a middle-click, so we're only
down to two buttons, not one.

There are also drivers available to do similar things for older
PowerBooks.

>> Will development of the GUI on a Mac require a Fink install? (e.g.
>> glade2)
> What is Fink?

Fink is just *one* way to get Unix libraries and programs on Mac OS
X.  It's a package manager.  Another is Darwinports.  Personally I
don't use either.  Many don't.  I would build my own dependencies
needed or locate a binary distribution.  Mac Python extensions have
their own binary distribution repository anyways (though it's kinda
lean right now, as the Universal Python 2.4.3 is so new, but wxPython
is there).

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Those people who most want to rule people are, ipso-facto, those
least suited to do it."

- A rule of the universe, from the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy