[GRASS-dev] OpenMotif

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Sun Nov 5 22:30:21 EST 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-05 at 22:04 -0500, Scott Mitchell wrote:
> On 5 Nov 2006, at 19:27, Brad Douglas wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > It has come to my attention that openmotif is not compatible with the
> > GRASS license.  Most of the functionality has been duplicated in
> > lesstif, which has a compatible license.
> >
> > I've been able to successfully compile GRASS using lesstif as a
> > drop-in
> > replacement.
>
> I've been compiling GRASS against lesstif for years on Linux and
> MacOSX, no troubles, although I have only actually used the xanim
> program once or twice.

I guess I'm a little slow, then. :-)  I was not aware of lesstif until
recently.  I obviously missed it in REQUIREMENTS.html.  Thank you for
pointing that out.

> > Should we move GRASS to lesstif?  All that really needs to be done is
> > simply replace text that says openmotif/motif with lesstif (ie.
> > cosmetics).
>
> What text do you mean?  REQUIREMENTS.html lists lesstif as the
> suggested dependency, and a google search for Motif and GRASS only
> finds mailing list discussions and pointers to packages... ah-ha,
> that's one place I guess, the rpm spec files... Debian is already
> using lesstif.  Anything else that I'm missing?

I'm talking about things like the 'configure' script.  Change
'--with-motif' to '--with-lesstif'.  That kind of stuff.  '--with-motif'
implies openmotif, not lesstif.

--
Brad Douglas <rez touchofmadness com>                    KB8UYR/6
Address: 37.493,-121.924 / WGS84    National Map Corps #TNMC-3785