wald, space (Re: [GRASS-dev] Re: r.out.gdal segfault in XY location)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Nov 6 10:12:52 EST 2006

On Monday 06 November 2006 08:46, Maciej Sieczka wrote:
> Hamish wrote:
> >>
> >> That's how I imagine this. Is that OK for devs?
> >
> > probaby depends on the size of the patch. For a few lines it's probably
> > not worth the trouble of using the patch tracker. For larger patches and
> > module submission it is more appropriate than sending 50kb emails to the
> > entire list.
>
> IMO, the main reason to use the tracker instead of sumbitting patches
> just to the dev list is to keep the track of them :). So that we can
> easilly access the patches that have been sent half a year ago, and
> were ignored then, but now they could be usefull. For this, I believe,
> any patch should be submitted by the user to the tracker, instead of
> the list directly (the message will be forwarded to the list from the
> tracker anyway). Once it is apllied (or used as a protype for another
> patch), it's ticket should be closed.

I think it is good to track patches, even small ones.
Still there are situations where I would want to mail a patch to the list.
Especially when I am in a process of changing or discussing a change
or I know I will commit this tomorrow anyway.
Otherwise, at the end of a working session, it is good to publish something
and a tracker can help a lot to create a mini-discussion place
for a specific change.

> > Say, could a tracker hold Wiki Add-ons scripts & modules? I always worry
> > that old scripts will be lost when people switch ISPs, jobs, graduate,
> > etc.
>
> We could have a separate tracker for this, or use the the GForge ftp
> space (there is such thing).
>
> Bernhard,
>
> What is file size limit and the overall quota, in the tracker and the
> ftp space? Better ideas?

There is no specific quota (yet) as disc space is reasonable cheap (though
backspace is not). We might introduce a quota in the future.

I am not quite sure that I know what "Wiki Add-ons scripts & modules"
precisly are, but if this is useful for GRASS to track and reaonably
seperate from other things. By all means: Track it. :)
You can use the documentation space or another svn module if
a tracker is not appropriate, so there are enough possibility to model
a solution.

Bernhard

--
Managing Director - Owner, www.intevation.net       (Free Software Company)
Germany Coordinator, fsfeurope.org       (Non-Profit Org for Free Software)