[GRASS-dev] v.dissolve by common attribute in a specified column

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 12 03:37:54 EST 2006

I've would like to see a column= option added to the v.dissolve script
to dissolve based on common data in an attribute column. perhaps a
where= option to do the same.

general method:  (making this up as I go along)
 make a copy of vect+table
 add a new column
 fill new column with unique int based on uniq attr column entries
  (unix tool magic?  v.out.ascii.db | sort | uniq | nl | v.in.ascii)
 v.reclass column=new_col to use new column as cat
 v.extract -d
 # I guess you can't go back to old cats as they may have merged?

thoughts?

Hamish