[GRASS-dev] Makefiles: tar failure on Solaris

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Nov 20 13:57:28 EST 2006

Hamish wrote:

> > Yes, but it still suffers from the issue that it installs every file
> > in the directory; there is no way to omit individual files from
> > installation.
>
> for $GISBASE/etc/symbol/ I don't think that's a problem as it is
> specifically a file repository.

Does anything enumerate the directory contents? If so, having
extraneous files will offer choices which shouldn't be there.

BTW, filenames which begin with a dot aren't matched by the "*"
wildcard, so they aren't a problem if you just use $dir/*, but will be
if you use "find" (I think that adding "-name '*'" should solve that
issue; if it doesn't, adding "\! -name '.*'" will).

The most common cause of problems is backup files, as these are
normally based upon the original filename (e.g. (X)Emacs will back-up
"foo" as "foo~") and don't contain a leading dot. These are excluded
from CVS by default, but could end up in tarballs if they are made
from a developer's working copy rather than a fresh checkout.

Another potential issue is README files. If a module provides a switch
to list available files, you don't want invalid files showing up in
the list.