[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] Build Grass62!

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 21 18:34:06 EST 2006

Glynn Clements wrote:

> Hamish wrote:
>
> > Hamish:
> > Glynn:
> > > That looks like a bug in the Makefile(s); can you say which
> > > one(s)?
>
> [snip]
>
> In retrospect, I don't see any point changing this. The issue isn't
> just applicable to mkdir, but to all commands; the mkdir command which
> is failing just happens to be the first command for the first target
> (builddemolocation).
>
> Unless we quote every single pathname variable in every Makefile
> (which I don't consider to be feasible), trying to build from a
> directory whose pathname contains shell metacharacters simply won't
> work.

The same applies for path names with spaces, correct? I'm not too
concerned about supporting [&,|,',`,!] in pathnames, but spaces in
pathnames are pretty common for Mac and (native) Windows.

If it does apply to spaces, it may take a while to complete the job, but
we can start and slowly move towards that goal... at minimum we can
establish a best practice for future work.

Hamish