[GRASS-dev] [discussion] input types in geoprocessing operations with WPS

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at centrum.cz
Fri Nov 24 10:09:58 EST 2006

Hallo,
since web user interface developers joined PyWPS team [1], we started to
discuss, how to define input types for geospatial operations from user's
(client's) point of view.

Web Processing Service standard defines input and output types from
server's point of view:
    - ComplexValue and ComplexValueReference for raster and vector maps
    - BoundingBoxValue
    - LiteralValue for anything else

But there is no description about, how the client could guess, that one
input could be dealed as "Mouse click" in the map, or that some input
should be of type Combobox or Checkbox.

This can be defined, using <Metadata ../> tag in ProcessDescription XML
document.

Now we would like to discuss, how each type of input should be defined
with Metadata option. What are common attributes and what are not.

On PyWPS wiki [2], we allready started some disscution regarding this
topic [3]. There is also PyWPS-devel mainling list [4],
where both main WUIW [5] (Web User Interface for WPS) developers are
activating. Please, feel free add your ideas to wiki or post your
comments on it to mailing list or IRC (#pywps on irc.freenode.net).

To get general idea about what can be done with PyWPS+GRASS+Web interface
(e.g. Ka-map), follow links at Embrio project site [6] and Ka-map
bindigs example [7].

Looking forward to your hints and notes

Jachym & PyWPS Development Team

[1] http://pywps.wald.intevation.org