[GRASS-dev] v.split: what is 'vertices' for?

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Wed Oct 4 05:43:16 EDT 2006

I haven't found anything relevant in the manual, lists archives, the BT
or the source code, so I'm asking here.

There is a straight line made of only 2 nodes:

$ v.info -t line
nodes=2
points=0
lines=1
boundaries=0
centroids=0
areas=0
islands=0
faces=0
kernels=0
primitives=1
map3d=0

And it has a category assigned:

$ v.category -g line option=report
1 line 1 1 1

I want to add a vertex to it.

According to the manual:

	length=float
	Maximum segment length.

	vertices=integer
	Maximum number of vertices in segment.

There are 2 vertices (nodes) currently. Trying to add a vertex between
them:

$ v.split input=line output=line_split vertices=3

Checking line_split in v.digit proves there are still only 2 vertices -
the nodes themselves; the 3rd vertex in not added.

No matter what is the 'vertices' set to, the outcome is the same. Is
that OK? What am I missing to understand what is the 'vertices' option for?

Maciek

P.S.
Please don't suggest workarounds and stuff. I only want to know what's
 up with v.split.