[GRASS-dev] Grass Documentation How-to html page

Scott Mitchell smitch at mac.com
Thu Oct 5 09:55:25 EDT 2006

Sorry for the delay in getting to this - a hard drive failure on top
of regular chaos at this time of year had me way behind.

Notwithstanding the discussion of possible alternatives to CVS that
have came up, here are some suggested edits to the howto.... this
comes as a diff -u against the original attachment you sent around -
sorry I wasn't more timely to make that work more easily.  If you've
already put this on the WIKI somewhere let me know and I could work
on a more up to date version.

I took out the sentence about possibly needing to use sudo to edit
the source code, simply because I couldn't see how that could come
up.  If someone is using their own account to check out a copy of the
source, all files would be owned by them and should be writeable.  As
far as I can tell, some other intervention would be needed to make it
more complicated, so having that line in there seemed like extra
possible confusion to me.  Unless, of course, I'm missing some
obvious possibility.  Ah - I see now that Hamish has addressed that
too, in a followup post.  He also points out that patches could be
created and sent in outside of the fully cvs model of how to do
things, just making copies and using the diff command.  We COULD show
two alternative ways of doing this - I can help with that if it
sounds like a good idea.

Cheers,
Scott