[GRASS-dev] r.mapcalc and g.remove --v/q issues

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Oct 8 09:11:57 EDT 2006

Hamish wrote:

> > > AFAIK, modules are quiet by default now. If you want verbosity (e.g.
> > > progress indication) you have to enable it.
> >
> > I didn't realize that quiet mode implies no progress indicator. In
> > that case verbose should be the default IMO, because we can't leave
> > users without a feedback from the module progress unless they
> > implicitely requests that. Am I wrong?
>
> (not sure if I fully understand the current mode, sorry I haven't been
> following this thread, but from observation, ...)
>
> I think it is wrong to make all modules --quiet be default. Many years
> of tuning have gone into the current message level, we just throw that
> out?

I doubt that there has been any "tuning". Previously, modules wrote
out anything which the author thought might be useful to someone, on
the basis that the user can ignore what is displayed but can't see
something which isn't displayed. Unless a piece of information was
always displayed, it simply wasn't available.

> ps -
> in verbose.c, is this test correct?

No.

> static int verbose;
> G_verbose() {
>  ..
>     /* verbose not defined -> get it from env. */
>     if ( !verbose ) {
>  ..
> }
>
> so it gets read from GRASS_VERBOSE not only if its unset but also if
> it happens to be at MINLEVEL?

It should initialise verbose to -1 then check "if (verbose < 0) ..."
instead.