[GRASS-dev] Re: tcltk 8.3 and v.digit toolbox

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Oct 8 15:16:43 EDT 2006

Still catching up with a lot of traffic over past 24 hours.

I'll look at the demo file, but giving the frame a honeydew background is a
good substitute if that fails.

We already use bwidgets for most of the widgets listed below. Only in a few
cases (generally noted in the bwidgets docs) have there been new tk widgets
that supercede these. The more complicated issue is changes to existing
TclTk widgets and other syntax. This is only a gism issue as you point out.
It's not that substitutes can't be found or worked out, it's just that I
don't have much in the way of time to do it, and it's additionally difficult
since I'm running 8.4--as are most people who can test. I've already had to
put wxGRASS aside for a month (and am already forgetting what I learned this
past summer) while doing necessary bug fixes on TclTk 8.4 code for 6.2 and
6.3. So I'm not against it as long as it doesn't degrade the UI, I just
don't want to be the person who has to make gism work with 8.3.

On the other hand, as you note, v.digit needs to work with both old and new
GUI. So as long as we maintain d.m, I agree that v.digit should be backward
compatible. So let's get this one set and see what happens next.

Michael
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213