[GRASS-dev] gis.m in wingrass: using where clause in d.vect causes error :can't read "_data(.gronsole.gronsole, 9, donecmd)": no such element in array

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Oct 9 08:02:04 EDT 2006

Glynn Clements wrote:

>>> Actually I just managed to test (Qemu over NX, quite an experience ;-) ),
>>> and I can confirm that the problem is with the sql query box. So it is not
>>> the same problem as the one described by Hamish.
>> Huidae or Glynn, any ideas on this ?
>
> 	# Actually run the program
> 	if { $mingw == "1" } {
> 		# shell scripts require sh.exe.
> 		set cmd [concat | sh -c '$cmd']
> 	} else {
> 		set cmd [concat | $cmd 2>@ stdout]
> 	}
>
> If you want to use "sh -c ...", you have to escape any shell
> metacharacters, otherwise commands which happen to contain shell
> metacharacters (e.g. "<" or ">" in a SQL "WHERE" clause) won't work.
>
> I've already explained this in the thread discussing these changes.

Found
http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2006-September/025834.html

where you say

"The simplest solution to the issue of
metacharacters is to replace any occurrences of the single quote
character in arguments with "'\''" (quote, backslash, quote, quote)
and surround each argument with single quotes.

Even then, there might be issues due to the shell messing with the
environment, signal handling, process groups etc (as well as possible
Unix-compatibility "features"). Shells are very complex programs."

Not sure that I understand exactly what needs to be done and where.

Moritz