[GRASS-dev] Re: [bug #5218] (grass) wingrass: creating new location from startup screen with projection values fails

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Oct 25 13:45:17 EDT 2006

Hamish wrote:

> > Unfortunately, GRASS has a lot of this sort of stuff - using system()
> > to run commands rather than using functions; probably because the
> > author knew about the command but didn't know about the function. I've
> > even seen system("rm ...") used to delete files.
> >
> > Finding (and fixing) all of the Unix-specific system() calls will be a
> > large part of getting a native Windows version of GRASS to work.
>

> Does MinGW provide "clear" for "cls"? I seem to remember someone
> recently complaining about that,
>
> grass63$ grep -rI clear * | grep system | cut -f1 -d: | uniq
> lib/gis/clear_scrn.c

> lib/vask/V_clear.c
> lib/vask/V_init.c

V_init() uses the curses clear() function, although it also uses
system("clear"):

    system("clear");	/* this is a kludge - xterm has problems
			 * it shows what was on the screen after
			 * endwin is called in V_exit()
			 */

Personally, I don't consider xterm's behaviour to be a problem.

V_clear() has the call commented out:

/* please leave this code commented out
	fflush(stdout);
	system("clear");
*/

Anything which uses curses should use the clear() function. Anything
which doesn't use curses probably shouldn't be trying to clear the
screen.