[GRASS-dev] Re: [bug #5218] (grass) wingrass: creating new location from startup screen with projection values fails

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Oct 25 14:07:54 EDT 2006

Moritz Lennert wrote:

> > Fortunately, this bug shoud be quite simple to fix: use the mkdir()
> > function rather than using system() to run the mkdir command. Could
> > someone try the attached patch?
>
> I am more than willing to do more extensive testing and also to work on
> some of the system calls you mention, but I what do I need for native
> compilation ? Or cross-compilation on debian for windows (never compiled
> anything on windows in my life ;-) ) ?

Native compilation is probably easier.

For this, you need MinGW and MSys, including gcc, g++, binutils, flex,
bison, make, and pdcurses, all from:

http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml

You also need this version of the XDR library:

http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/BuildingWindowsBinaryOnLinux?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=xdr-4.0-mingw2.tar.gz

The above is a stripped-down version of the Sun RPC library, which
only includes the XDR [de]serialisation code, with the networking code
removed.

You will first need to build and install zlib, PNG, PROJ, GDAL and the
above XDR library. Then, building GRASS is similar to building it on
Linux, except that you need to disable most of the optional features
(including the use of shared libraries).

Aside: it might encourage more people to work on the Windows version
if the GRASS site contained binary versions of the necessary
libraries. Having to build XDR, PROJ, GDAL, zlib, PNG, Tcl/Tk and
possibly other stuff from source before you can start to compile GRASS
is a major nuisance.