[GRASS-dev] v.in.ogr broken (\w shp)

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 5 01:16:50 EDT 2006

Brad:
> > However, this does present a usability issue.  This is a problem
> > many, people will encounter.  I was trying to import a standard USGS
> > product.
> >
> > How about when v.in.ogr encounters this, offer a suggestion to fix,
> > rather than simply erroring out?  We could almost cut and paste your
> > answer above.  At least something a little less terse than, "ERROR:
> > Cannot create table: [SQL statement]".  That describes nothing about
> > the problem encountered (duplicate columns)[1].

The error message talks about duplicate column names already. The issue
is mentioned in one of the SQL or DBF help pages already (?), but I have
added a note to the v.in.ogr help page as well (+6.2).

Markus:
> Another option is to change the last char of the offending
> col(s) to an incrementing number:
>
> ADMIN_CLAS
> ADMIN_CLA1

maybe rare, but what happens if you have more than 10 similar column
names? need to code for ADMIN_CL10, ADMIN_CL11, ..., ADMIN_C100,

Hamish