[GRASS-dev] Spatial database updating using active contours for multispectral Images

Sampson, David dsampson at NRCan.gc.ca
Wed Sep 13 12:51:31 EDT 2006

Hey folks....

I just saw a presentation on using imagery to update vector databases using Deformbale Polygon models based on stats and gradients... it was cool to watch a rough road line fix itself towards a georeferenced image. The issue for me is that the work done ast a masters level is slow to find a comercial niche. So I was wondering if it existed already in the open source realm....Or maybe I can just get people thinking about it so that someone can find a link.

The presentation I saw was based on research done at Universite de Sherbrooke: http://www.usherbrooke.ca/

The presenter developed  the idea with a bunch of other people that were working on different aspects of a similar approach.

Here is the main paper I think: "Spatial database updating using active contours for multispectral Image"
http://cs-linux.ubishops.ca/~bentabet/BentabetIsprs.pdf

The process has been used in medical research a lot and has lots of application in the geomatics world.

I came cross JESS which is a java open source project (Source by request, see software link bellow), an abstarct is availbale here http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2005SPIE.5747.1985M

Lots of medical examples found here: http://iacl.ece.jhu.edu/projects/gvf/gvf_cite_abstract.html

I am wondering if this is something already availabel in OSSIM or maybe GRASS. Or if it is possible ot implement.

The technique was new in that it used previous algorythms to form a + - model based on if success was had using statistics of the image or if they used the gradient of the image for push/pull factors.

The image processing looks intensive and the presentor mentioned the need in a comercial environment for the creation of ZIP or ZIP lock polygons so that you can process line segments instead of the whole polygon.

Anyone have any further references?

Some other sources:
http://www.scs.ryerson.ca/~tmcinern/isbi2006.pdf
http://www.scs.ryerson.ca/~tmcinern/software.html

Some abstracts from the author and presentor Sylvie Jodouin:

Bentabet, Layachi; Jodouin, Sylvie; Ziou, Djemel; Vaillancourt, Jean
Road Vectors Update Using SAR Imagery : A Snake Based Method
IEEE Transactions on Geosciences and Remote Sensing, Volume 41, Numéro 8, pp. 1785-1803, 2003
[Accès restreint]  [Informations complémentaires] <http://www.moivre.usherbrooke.ca/SearchArticles/keywords.aspx?idarticle=86>
PDF <http://www.moivre.usherbrooke.ca/SearchArticles/Files/Restricted/86/52.pdf>
Jodouin, Sylvie; Bentabet, Layachi; Ziou, Djemel; Vaillancourt, Jean; Armenakis, Costas
Spatial Database Updating using Active Contours for Multispectral Images: Application with Landsat 7
ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Volume 57, pp. 346-355, 2003
[Accès restreint]  [Informations complémentaires] <http://www.moivre.usherbrooke.ca/SearchArticles/keywords.aspx?idarticle=94>
PDF <http://www.moivre.usherbrooke.ca/SearchArticles/Files/Restricted/94/60.pdf>
Jodouin, Sylvie; Bentabet, Layachi; Ziou, Djemel; Vaillancourt, Jean; Armenakis, Costas
A Combined Estimation-Deformation Model for Area Detection: Application to Topographic Area Feature Update
Actes de Photogrammetric Computer Vision, ISPRS Commission III, Symposium, Volume A, pp. 181-186, Graz, Austria, du 09-09-2002 au 13-09-2002
[Informations complémentaires] <http://www.moivre.usherbrooke.ca/SearchArticles/keywords.aspx?idarticle=25>
PDF <http://www.moivre.usherbrooke.ca/SearchArticles/Files/Public/25/24.pdf>
Bentabet, Layachi; Jodouin, Sylvie; Ziou, Djemel; Vaillancourt, Jean
Automated Updating of Road Databases from SAR Imagery: Integration of Road Databases and SAR Imagery information
Actes de 4th International Conference on Information Fusion, Volume WeA1, pp. 3-10, Montréal, Qc, Canada, du 07-08-2001 au 10-08-2001

Cheers