[GRASS-user] Re: [GRASS-dev] MS-Windows native GRASS

Huidae Cho grass4u at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 15:00:39 EDT 2006

On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 05:17:20PM +0200, Anders Fahlén wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the efforts to make a native Windows Grass version:-)
>
> I've tried to download and install the 6.3 CVS, September 15, 2006 release,
> following the instructions at http://geni.ath.cx/grass.html, but I'm facing
> some difficulties. The inst_grass.bat installation does not work for me. Which
> directory is it referred to in section 3 of the installation instructions or
> does it not matter?

That doesn't matter if the three files are in the same directory.  If
you're not sure where you should download them, just put them in
c:\download.  Please make sure you PC is ONLINE when running
inst_grass.bat.

> I tried to manually copy the grass.bat file to the C:\msys\1.0\local directory.
> However, in this case I cannot enter GRASS as I receive, among others, a
> "g.gisenv - Unable to find" error message and the "libintl3.dll" file cannot be
> found, when selecting a previously configured "Location". Further, I cannot
> find any epsg code file and if I manually add a known and valid epsg code I
> receive an error message that the libintl3.dll file is missing. This file,
> AFAIK, belongs to the cygwin package.
>
> Presumably I've done something wrong with the installation.

You cannot just copy and run grass.bat without successful inst_grass.bat
since inst_grass.bat downloads/installs several libraries required for
winGRASS to run.

> I would appreciate any inputs or clarifications on how to properly install the
> native 6.3 CVS GRASS Windows version (the http://geni.ath.cx/grass/grass.zip
> file is time-stamped 16:40 Sep 17, 2006, whereas the
> http://geni.ath.cx/grass/grass-2006-09-15.zip file is time-stamped 12:28 Sep
> 18, 2006. They seem to have the same file size - any other differences?).

Those two files are the same. grass.zip is symbolic linked to
grass-2006-09-15.zip.

Huidae