[GRASS-dev] creating new modules

Kirk R. Wythers kwythers at umn.edu
Wed Sep 20 11:58:18 EDT 2006

Maxi,

Thanks for contribution to the wiki. I am very interested in your
work with HydroFOSS. Since you likely have confronted already, many
of the issues that I am struggling with, I would like to ask you a
few questiions.

First off, how do you organize your meteorological data in time and
space? For example, over a landscape there will be numerous
observations for variables such as precipitation, temperature and
solar radiation. The more I think about it, the more sophisticated
the database requirements for this task seem to be.

Right now, I am leaning toward setting up vector layers (and
associated postgresql tables) for variables such as vegetation type
and soil type. For example, the model will need to know soil type at
any given location and needs to access precipitation data through
time in oder to calculate water availability. In turn, water
availability through time will then be needed for photosynthesis
calculations which will have further temporally dependent input
requirements such as solar radiation, and temperature.

Keeping these data (both input and output) organized and accessible,
through the model run seems to be my most challenging task at this
point.

Any thoughts are much appreciated,

Kirk