[GRASS-dev] creating new modules

Massimiliano Cannata massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch
Wed Sep 27 05:00:10 EDT 2006

Sorry for my delay.
Inline some comments.

Kirk R. Wythers wrote:
> Maxi,
>
> Thanks for contribution to the wiki. I am very interested in your work
> with HydroFOSS. Since you likely have confronted already, many of the
> issues that I am struggling with, I would like to ask you a few
> questiions.
>
> First off, how do you organize your meteorological data in time and
> space? For example, over a landscape there will be numerous
> observations for variables such as precipitation, temperature and
> solar radiation. The more I think about it, the more sophisticated the
> database requirements for this task seem to be.
Basically I used two external DB table: one for stations (with east,
north, id) and one for values (with id, timestamp, value,
parameter_type), then i run a query and import the result as vector with
v.in.ascii
This is a dirty solution, and some discussion on series in grass are
going on also for this propouse.

> Right now, I am leaning toward setting up vector layers (and
> associated postgresql tables) for variables such as vegetation type
> and soil type. For example, the model will need to know soil type at
> any given location and needs to access precipitation data through time
> in oder to calculate water availability. In turn, water availability
> through time will then be needed for photosynthesis calculations which
> will have further temporally dependent input requirements such as
> solar radiation, and temperature.
>
> Keeping these data (both input and output) organized and accessible,
> through the model run seems to be my most challenging task at this point.
For HydroFOSS running I just used a name convention for series handling:
[series_name].[series_time]
in this way i loop trough time ($time_now & $time_last) and used the
correct input in command running, e.g.:

r.mapcal 'landuse.$time_now=landuse.$time_last + 10'