[GRASS-dev] how to set fonts for d.text.new

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Sep 20 14:40:00 EDT 2006

I¹d like to put d.text.new into the GUI layer toolbar, since it now combines
GRASS and freetype fonts, and works on all platforms as far as I can tell.

To make life easier for users, my plan is to allow them to also set the font
in the same options panel. Give the discussions of a few weeks back that I
sort of followed, this leaves me with several questions about how to do this
in an easy, useful way, that doesn¹t mess up other things.

Currently, d.font and d.font.freetype offer a non-interactive entry widget
for typing in a font name and path. TclTk offers a built-in font selection
dialog that I¹ve used in some other modules (thematic mapping legends, PS
text) that lets a users interactively select system fonts. Will these work
with d.text.new? I¹ll also leave it so that a user can type in something if
they want.

Which is better to use for setting fonts in this way: d.font or
f.font.freetype?

What will happen in the GUI is that d.font.freetype (or d.font) will run,
followed by d.text.new. Will this affect the fonts in all subsequent layers
(e.g., for legends)? If so, how can I put the font back to the way it was
before running the font/text layer?

Thanks
Michael
Arizona State University