[GRASS-dev] v.to.db: why is 'option=cat' not updating columns other than "cat"?

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Thu Sep 21 12:34:31 EDT 2006

Hi,

Even if I specify an integer output 'column' for 'option=cat':

v.to.db -s map=huha2 type=point layer=2 option=cat column=gimme

v.to.db ignores it and updates the column "cat" instead:

Updating database ...
insert into huha2_2 ( cat ) values  ( 1 )
insert into huha2_2 ( cat ) values  ( 2 )
insert into huha2_2 ( cat ) values  ( 3 )

and so forth

The column "gimme" is there:

$ v.info -c huha2
Displaying column types/names for database connection of layer 1:
INTEGER|cat
INTEGER|gimme

Why does v.to.db ignore it? Is it by design or a bug? I thought I could
use any integer column for storing categories...

Maciek