[GRASS-dev] GRASS digitizing; splitting lines does not update the cat!

Stephan Holl holl at gdf-hannover.de
Mon Sep 25 11:06:54 EDT 2006

Hi devs,

while working with a very long digitized coastline I encountered the
following problem.

I split the line into pieces in order to give different attributes to
different line segments.
But when I split the line, the cat stays identical. So whenever I
change an attribute of one segment, it gets changed on all other
segments too (because it has the same cat).

This is because no new attribute-entry will be created when a line is
split and the cat stays identical.

Would this be a big deal to change this? Where is the right place to
look at?

My needed behaviour would be that when splitting a line, the
attribute-entry gets copied, the new resulting segment gets a new cat
linked to the copied entry. The left-of-new-point-segment stays old, the
right-of-new-point-segment gets the new cat linked to the new cat.

What do other think? Is this a convnient usecase?
Could this be done with GRASS/QGIS right now?

Thanks for your comments.

Best regards

	Stephan

--
GDF Hannover - Solutions for spatial data analysis and remote sensing
Hannover Office      -     Mengendamm 16d      -     D-30177 Hannover
Internet: www.gdf-hannover.de      -      Email: holl at gdf-hannover.de
Phone : ++49-(0)511.39088507       -        Fax: ++49-(0)511.39088508