[GRASS-dev] GRASS digitizing; splitting lines does not update the cat!

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Mon Sep 25 11:22:54 EDT 2006

Stephan Holl wrote:

> while working with a very long digitized coastline I encountered the
> following problem.
>
> I split the line into pieces in order to give different attributes to
> different line segments.
> But when I split the line, the cat stays identical. So whenever I
> change an attribute of one segment, it gets changed on all other
> segments too (because it has the same cat).
>
> This is because no new attribute-entry will be created when a line is
> split and the cat stays identical.
>
> Would this be a big deal to change this? Where is the right place to
> look at?
>
> My needed behaviour would be that when splitting a line, the
> attribute-entry gets copied, the new resulting segment gets a new cat
> linked to the copied entry. The left-of-new-point-segment stays old, the
> right-of-new-point-segment gets the new cat linked to the new cat.
>
> What do other think? Is this a convnient usecase?

The functionlityyou are describing would be very usefull for me as an
option. But the current behaviour should also be still available - it
has it's own uses.

Currently you can remove the old cat and add a new one, then fill the
attribute table again. This becomes a problem, when you have, say, 100
attributes but only wan't one to be different :(.

> Could this be done with GRASS/QGIS right now?

AFAIK same as above. I would love to see such a functionality in QGIS
Grass edit tool, too.

Maciek