[GRASS-dev] r.le bugs--list needed

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 27 02:48:57 EDT 2006

William L. Baker wrote:
> I may (still uncertain!) slowly try to get r.le programs to work under
> 6.X.

The raster format & GIS API is unchanged, only vector & sites have
changed. So required fixes for porting a raster module are in fact
small.

> Here is what I see as problems to be fixed. If anyone knows of
> other problems, let me know:
>
> 1. r.le.setup fails when a sitefile is requested--update needed

fixed in CVS HEAD + 6.2 branch
  - just removed the prompt

In CVS HEAD I've changed the module to use G_parser() instead of custom
prompts.

> 2. r.le.setup does not display properly in the display window

fixed in CVS HEAD + 6.2 branch
  - it was hanging on G_system(" d.frame -e");
    changed to use D_setup(1) to clear the screen

> 3. with gis.m, r.le.setup does not connect to display window

fixed in CVS HEAD + 6.2 branch
  - menu.tcl needed "guarantee_xmon;"

> 4. r.le.pixel crashes with a memory problem

Brad?

William: Can you prepare an example using the spearfish dataset? These
modules are too complex for me to quickly understand.

> 5. no r.le.dist program

Also, no r.le.para as exists in GRASS 5, nor r.le.null & r.le.rename as
mentioned in the help page. If these should be copied from GRASS 5, let
us know, it's not hard to do. I don't see r.le.dist built in GRASS 5.4
either??

I notice that the GRASS 5 r.le man pages were not ported into GRASS 6
description.html files. That's easy to do and should be done.

Brad:
> Would it be best to remove r.le from production branches (6.2) until
> it works reliably again?

If r.le is deemed not ready for release, removing it is as simple as
editing raster/Makefile and removing the entries for it in menu.tcl.

Markus:
> please note that there are the r.li efforts:
>   http://www.faunalia.it/mediawiki/index.php/R_li
> Maybe efforts could be joined?

Yes please.. but it is simple to copy over missing r.le modules and man
pages, it can be done in a few minutes. So we should do that while we wait
for r.li to be ready.

Hamish