[GRASS-dev] Re: discussion: replacing ps.map

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Apr 3 06:53:47 EDT 2007

Jachym Cepicky wrote:

> > While you can fill areas (including stroked paths) with arbitrary
> > patterns, those patterns won't be oriented to follow the path. If you
> > want complex line styles, you generally have to do most of the work
> > yourself.
>
> "Myself" means to edit the resulting Post Script file(?).

I mean that the application has to draw styled lines using a sequence
of primitives. E.g. if you want a double line (#1000 on p39), you have
to draw two lines, with the correct offsets. If you want arrows, you
have to place and draw each arrow-head.

IOW, you can't just set a style which the "stroke" operator will then
apply to a path. With the built-in line-stroking operation, the style
is limited to a combination of colour (or fill pattern), dash pattern,
caps, and joins. Any fill pattern is applied without reference to the
line's alignment or orientation.