[GRASS-dev] return of the OSX xterm question

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sun Apr 8 20:14:55 EDT 2007

On Apr 8, 2007, at 7:00 PM, Glynn Clements wrote:

> William Kyngesburye wrote:
>
>> One thing I'm wondering - is there a way to run a command in a shell
>> script without displaying the command in the shell?  Something like
>> the @ prefix used in makefiles?  Since I have to recreate the env
>> vars in the new Terminal window, a lot of stuff is spewed to the user
>> before the requested command is actually run.
>
> This isn't a shell issue; it's an artifact of remote-controlling an
> existing terminal through AppleScript.

Hmm.  My OSX app startup does this too.  I thought I've seen it
purely from running a shell script in a Terminal, but I could be
mistaken.  Oh well, just have to put up with a little clutter...

> Can you not just run the command in a separate terminal instance, in
> the same way that xterms are used?

Not quite.  Problems (rehash from previous discussion):

- doesn't inherit env

- returns immediately, without waiting for command to finish

- leaves Terminal as active application, so one must manually switch
back to whatever called it (ie X11/Tcltk)

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

[Trillian]  What are you supposed to do WITH a maniacally depressed
robot?

[Marvin]  You think you have problems?  What are you supposed to do
if you ARE a maniacally depressed robot?  No, don't try and answer,
I'm 50,000 times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the
answer...

- HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy