Updated r.colors - was: [GRASS-dev] problem with r.colors on Mac

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Apr 13 21:17:07 EDT 2007

Hi Glynn,

I guess I wasn't very clear on this.

On 4/13/07 11:10 AM, "Glynn Clements" <glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

> Once I've merged the rules= and color= options, I can re-use the
> rules= option to read rules from a file (but I don't think that you
> can specify a default directory for a file option).
>
> Beyond that, it may be worth replacing colour=rules with a flag. Or
> even a completely separate r.colors.rules module (I think I've already
> expressed my opinions on having an interactive mode in a module which
> is otherwise non-interactive).

Heavens NO! No interactive mode. I just meant that currently the rules
option only allows you to specify the names of color table files located in
$GISBASE/etc/colors. My suggestion is to allow you to specify color table
files located anywhere. For example

...as we have now

r.colors map=elevation rules=byr

...as I suggest, the following would be permitted

r.colors map=elevation rules=/Users/cmbarton/colors/byr

When I was talking about a prompt, I meant the gui-prompt in the
interface-description xml file. Currently, it calls a list of values that
are the names of text files in the $GISBASE/etc/colors directory. As I
suggest, this would be replaced by a file browsing prompt (#prompt
file,file,file for scripts).

Michael

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University