[GRASS-dev] icon testing

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Apr 15 15:25:08 EDT 2007

Someone (sorry, but I forgot who) suggested the silk icon set at
famfamfam.com would be worth looking at for wxgrass.

I took a look at these, and also wrote their creator about the possibility
of working with us to design GIS-specific icons (haven¹t heard back yet).

Many are nice, though all are small (16x16). I tried using these in the
wxgrass toolbars to see how they looked. I had to modify a couple (and would
need to modify more to really use these). So that others could take a look,
I uploaded the results to the svn. There is an icon directory with the icons
I used, and silk versions of wxgui.py and toolbars.py. You¹ll need to add
the icons directory and contents to /wx, and rename wxgui_silk.py to
wxgui.py and toolbars_silk.py to toolbars.py.

My impression is that the stock silk set are OK, but not a significant
improvement over what we¹ve got. Also, they are kind of small (at least for
my eyes) and we¹d still need some additional custom icons beyond the large
set provided in the silk set. But it does offer a different look and might
inspire an artistic reader of this list to design some new ones for us.

Michael
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213