[GRASS-dev] better mysql support

Emanuele Conti emanuele.conti at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 16:54:26 EDT 2007

Hi everybody,
I'm a university student and I'm doing a thesis on the integration of grass
with mysql. I found that grass has a good support for postgis and I'd like
to duplicate all the main features available for this db for mysql, which
has geometry extensions (opengis compliant) and performs significantly
better than postgres. I downloaded grass 6.3 cvs source code yet and I
started to have a look to the code, but I've some questions:
- from the grass 6 features page I understood that with postGis it's no more
necessary to pass through gdal ogr translation: is this true? Is there a
direct db manipulation?
- what part of the code implements the direct "Export/Import to
*PostGIS"*(functions as
v.to.db and so on) and which directories and files should I look at?
- what documentation could help me and where could I find it (I googled for
technical docs oriented to grass/db integration, but I did't found much
material);
- is this a project that could become part of grass in any way? How could I
receive support and/or feedback when necessary?

I hope to read of you soon. Thanks...

--
Emanuele Conti
Senior Student at University ROMA TRE