[GRASS-dev] better mysql support

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Apr 15 20:17:39 EDT 2007

Emanuele Conti wrote:

> I'm a university student and I'm doing a thesis on the integration of grass
> with mysql. I found that grass has a good support for postgis

GRASS doesn't specifically support PostGIS. The generic database
interface (DBMI) has a driver for PostgreSQL. Also, v.{in,out}.ogr
support whichever drivers GDAL/OGR was built with.

> and I'd like
> to duplicate all the main features available for this db for mysql, which
> has geometry extensions (opengis compliant) and performs significantly
> better than postgres. I downloaded grass 6.3 cvs source code yet and I
> started to have a look to the code, but I've some questions:
> - from the grass 6 features page I understood that with postGis it's no more
> necessary to pass through gdal ogr translation: is this true? Is there a
> direct db manipulation?
> - what part of the code implements the direct "Export/Import to
> *PostGIS"*(functions as
> v.to.db and so on) and which directories and files should I look at?

v.to.db uses the DBMI; the PostgreSQL driver is in
db/drivers/postgres, while the MySQL driver is in db/drivers/mysql.