[GRASS-dev] better mysql support

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Sun Apr 15 22:56:18 EDT 2007

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007, Emanuele Conti wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> I'm a university student and I'm doing a thesis on the integration of grass
> with mysql. I found that grass has a good support for postgis and I'd like
> to duplicate all the main features available for this db for mysql, which
> has geometry extensions (opengis compliant) and performs significantly
> better than postgres. I downloaded grass 6.3 cvs source code yet and I

As I understand it the OpenGIS vector format is a lot less featureful than
the GRASS format (i.e. it doesn't store the topological relationships
between vector features, which is important for a lot of vector analyses)
and thus it is debateable whether it is useful to store GRASS data in that
format. It would mean topology would have to be re-built from the external
data any time an analysis is to be done in GRASS. My understanding is the
OpenGIS format is more of a quick-access format useful for displaying
data, but if it is to be edited, topological format is better for ensuring
the integrity of the data (no overlapping boundaries and that kind of
thing).

As far as I can remember GRASS used to directly support storage of vector
geometry in PostGIS in 5.7/6.0 pre-releases, but that was removed before
the release of 6.0.0 final because there were problems with it. The
PostGIS support was integrated by a group of final year project students I
think - there may also have been a paper written about it. It would
probably be a good idea to investigate this (e.g. download an old version
of GRASS and try it out etc.) and investigate what the problems were and
why it was dropped, and see if you can do better with your MySQL spatial
support.

Off the top of my head though, I think the shortcomings of the OpenGIS
vector format for spatial analysis were a major factor. But you would need
to read old mailing list posts from Radim Blazek for more insight.

Paul