[GRASS-dev] Google Summer Of Code Project

Wolf Bergenheim wolf+grass at bergenheim.net
Tue Apr 17 08:40:33 EDT 2007

As most of you probably know I'm going to work as mentor for Maximilian
during the summer, but most (if not all) of the technical discussion is
going to take place here on this list, and we'd greatly appreciate any
comments and feedback you have.

On 17.04.2007 11:18, maximilian maldacker wrote:
> I have a few question concerning the development of the module. I see
> modules are organized in several folders and I thought I can create a
> new folder in the display folder named d.path_obstacles or something
> similar.

I'd recommend using a period, like
d.path.obstacles

Do we have any module naming conventions?

> Is it sufficient to create a new folder with a Makefile inside
> and a few *.c files to make a new module and will it be recognized by
> the command line?

You can copy the makefile from another module, like d.path, and modify
it to suit your needs, or copy the example Makefile, and modify that.
The makefiles are set up so that they compile all C files into a module.

> The plan for now is to develop a module similar to the d.path one except
> it will start with a vector space containing obstacles ( i.e. polygons )
> and it will construct a visibility graph out of it and compute the
> shortest path between two given points. Should the visibility graph
> construction algorithm be added to the Directed Graph Library?

I don't really see it being used anywhere else, so I'd just start by
putting it in a file of it's own, and developing it separately from the
module, so it can be integrated into the Directed Graph Library later,
if we choose to do that. Anybody else have views on this?

> What is the best way to test my code? Should I keep a fresh copy of
> GRASS on my computer, modify/create files, compile everything and test
> it using the spearfish example? Or is there another way?

I only have the CVS version checked out. I know others have multiple
versions installed for testing, but I'd say it should be enough for you
to have only the CVS copy checked out. Spearfish data could be used, or
then you can make your own, or perhaps someone has a suitable data set,
like showing buildings in an area?

> Thank you for your help and I'm looking forward to help develop GRASS.

Welcome, welcome. I think it will be an interesting summer (of code ;))

--Wolf

--

<:3 )---- Wolf Bergenheim ----( 8:>