[GRASS-dev] new G_find_etc() and g.findetc

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Thu Apr 19 11:33:48 EDT 2007

On Apr 19, 2007, at 12:19 AM, Hamish wrote:

> William Kyngesburye wrote:
>> Thanks to Glynn's expert help, I added a G_find_etc() function to
>> libgis, and a companion g.findetc command.
>

> was there ever any resolution to the question of if etc/ should be
> renamed to something more appropriate, and more generally how to go
> about cleaning up the mix of stuff in there? (separate platform
> specific
> binary exe from static data files). Or are we happy with it as-is?
>
> Something to consider before locking in the module name.

...something I forgot to bring up...

Yeah, it's a bit of a klunky name.  Even if etc/ stays as-is, I'm
open to suggestions of a better name for it.

- find_file seems more appropriate, but that's taken to find mapset
data files.

- find_data makes some sense (unix software often refers to shared
resources such as etc/ and share/ as data), but it could easily be
confused with finding mapset data files.

- find_resource?  or find_rsrc?  these are program resource data
files we're looking for.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so."

- Ford Prefect