[GRASS-dev] Re: numeric-numpy-scipy for graphs?

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Mon Apr 23 03:51:01 EDT 2007

Hello Michael

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007, Michael Barton wrote:

> Following up on this and the many other interesting posts to this thread...
>
> I asked if anyone objected to having numpy or scipy (incluing numpy) as a
> dependency for the new wxPython GUI. The response has been overwhelmingly in
> favor, pointing out the many things possible with this kind of package.
>
> I just want to use it to make nicer plotting easier (e.g., for profiling and
> histogramming) in the GUI, but obviously it has other uses. And of course,
> there are a number of other even more sophisticated plotting/graphing
> packages that also run under wxPython and scipy.

TBH I was being lazy and waiting for more information on what specifically
it could be used for before giving an opinion... the names at least
suggest they are primarily for numerical calculations etc. and not drawing
graphics? I wonder do the parts of Pyplot you want to use even use anything
in NumPy? Obviously numerical calculations and that kind of stuff is
best done in C in the GRASS libraries and modules to make it available
also for command-line and scripting use. I think that's the main issue
here, that having NumPy available doesn't result in the GUI having lots of
computational functionality that isn't available in the core of GRASS.

but just my opinion

Paul