[GRASS-dev] Replacement of NVIZ

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Mon Apr 23 10:34:33 EDT 2007

Could you post article references and figure screenshots?
This seems to be good material for some GRASS advocation and/or
ArcGIS bashing ...

Benjamin

Carlos "Guâno" Grohmann wrote:
> Even though I am not a real developer, I just want to say that NVIZ
> rocks! It could have some other features (like, create a view with a
> oberserver at XXX YYY ZZZ looking to 275 deg north, or something) but
> it's easy to use, and produce some really nice outputs. I just
> submitted a paper comparing ArcGis and GRASS for morphometric analysis
> (guess who won?) and the 3D image we use was made in NVIZ, because
> ArcScene doesn't even get close to the beauty of NVIZ 3D image.
>
> Having a [lightweighted] n-D visualizer integrated in the system
> really makes a difference.
>
> just my 0.02
>
> Carlos
>

> On 4/23/07, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> I agree that integration is good, but I do not think NVIZ is
> maintainable. I think a good and smooth link to an external 3d viewer
> (call it Paraview or whatever). Why exactly this could not be a
> replacement for nviz?
> We cannot do everything within grass: the dev team is small compare to
> the code base, and externalizing functions is the only way to make real
> progress, in my view.
> All the best.
> pc
>
> Michael Barton ha scritto:
>> So I hope that we can get NVIZ ported to wxPython and make it an
> even more
>> seamless part of the geospatial visualization tools for GRASS. Making
>> tighter connections between GRASS and other, external visualization
> tools is
>> also a worthy plan--similar to the integration between GRASS and R. But
>> IMHO, we should not abandon NVIZ or something like it.

Benjamin Ducke, M.A.
Archäoinformatik
(Archaeoinformation Science)
Institut für Ur- und Frühgeschichte
(Inst. of Prehistoric and Historic Archaeology)
Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel
Johanna-Mestorf-Straße 2-6
D 24098 Kiel
Germany