[GRASS-dev] Replacement of NVIZ

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Apr 23 13:15:00 EDT 2007

Why do you think it is not maintainable? We are maintaining it now and it is
far better than equivalent packages in other GIS platforms (if they even
exist). There also are likely to be more people with python/wxPython
expertise than we now have with TclTk expertise, which bodes well for future
maintainability and enhancements.

We should be conservative about taking on **new** code responsibilities
unless we have the development team to manage them into the future. But with
the development team growing, and inclusion into OSGEO, I don't see any
reason to jettison existing GRASS functionality--especially a piece that is
so good and has been a key part of GRASS for so long. Many other programs
exist that do parts of what GRASS does (GDAL, MySQL, ParaView, GIMP,
QCAD)--and sometimes do it with much more sophistication. GRASS brings
needed functionality together in an integrated way to provide a rich and
complete GIS environment.

Michael

On 4/23/07 6:46 AM, "Paolo Cavallini" <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:

Arizona State University