[GRASS-dev] d.vect.chart legends

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 24 03:56:58 EDT 2007

> Hamish:
> > > I just added a new -l flag to d.vect.chart to output info needed
> > > to create legends for charts. Previously you just got different
> > > colors with no reference to which columns they represented (using
> > > default colors).
> > >
> > > this can be parsed to make a legend, either using d.graph (like
> > > d.vect.thematic does) or by storing the info in a raster map's
> > > metadata and using d.legend to make the map
>
> Michael:
> > This is conceptually a nice way for getting legends for a vector
> > map, using the tools we now have. There have been repeated requests
> > for a way to get legends for vector maps. Could this be systematized
> > somehow in a script, or better in the vector code, in some way.
> >
> > For example, a flag that would automatically create a tiny legend
> > raster that could be used with d.legend. This could be built out of:
> > the RGB column for vectors, out of random vector colors, built with
> > a script for d.vect.thematic (until the C version is done), created
> > for d.vect.chart like you did for text output.

Hamish:
> I consider the mini-raster map method an Add-on hack- you get lots of
> tmp_chart_$$ raster maps left over in your mapset. Not a satisfactory
> solution for the main distribution.
>
> I guess the best solution is to add categorical vector legends to
> d.legend. This would reuse the integer CELL map legend code to draw
> filled boxes[, cat number][, and labels], using cat # and RGBCOLOR
> column from a DB table.
>
> Note in the posted script I use the raw column name as the cat label.
> In production you'd probably want to edit that to something nicer (eg
> >10
> chars). At least in the d.vect.chart case divining nice labels from
> the input vector map isn't really an option, so I'm not sure how to do
> that beyond either a) adding an option to d.vect.chart with ';' sep
> labels, or b) creating a new DB table from the output of 'd.v.chart
> -l', then leave it to the user reset the label column themselves if
> they want.
>
> Using (b) would mean d.legend didn't care about vector maps, only DB
> tables in the form of: "cat|label|color". Which might not be such a
> bad solution as it is very flexible. An intermediary shell script
> awk'ing v.db.select should be able to create that from a vector map in
> thematic cases??? (I've never had the need to do thematic vector
> mapping in GRASS, so I can't really appreciate the required dataflow)
>
> Note the d.vect.chart legend is formed from the columns= and colors=
> options, not anything to do with the vector map.
>
> Another complication is that I didn't functionalize d.legend when I
> had the chance, and now it is a very large and very fragile piece of
> code. As it is currently working very well I am a bit loathe to touch
> it. I fear to functionalize the module will require a lot of (module)
> global variables, which defeats the purpose IMO (result is still
> logically messy).
>
> Perhaps start over with a clean legend module/tool/lib fn which takes
> "cat|label|color" as input and farm out all rast+vect categorical
> legends to that? You'd have to pass on all the rendering info, so it's
> still problematic and doesn't gain you much abstraction.

d.legend idea:

if data is fed from stdin (signaled by map=-) create categorical legend
using that data. Data format: "cat|label|color"

e.g.

d.legend -m map="-" <<EOF
1|Main Street|255:0:0
2|Elm Street|0:255:0
3|Old Coach Road|0:0:255
EOF

in this way d.legend could work as a system module by the GUI instead of
a user module, but be useful for non-raster tasks.

question/future: allow smooth FP legends from stdin data for use with
thematic vectors or stick with categorical legends?

Hamish